Charles Field Haviland
(CH F. Haviland)
Field Haviland is the decorating mark (trademark, identity) of
and C. Parlon. It will always be stamped on the back of
every item as proof of manufacturer, sometimes alongside the
pattern name, artists number, designers name, or pattern range (eg Mozart).
and C. Parlon have been using this mark since 1941 when it
purchased the mark from a company called Gerard,
Dufraisseix and Abbot which was derived from the original
Charles Field Haviland company. Robert Haviland was the grandson
of Charles Field Haviland.
1882 to 1900 the mark could be in red, green, blue, gray, brown
or black with the letters "CH FIELD HAVILAND Limoges" inside the
a double circle as follows -
to 1941 the color was standardised to red.
mark is very similar but can contain the artists number,
designers name, the pattern name and other details.
CH Field Haviland
Haviland left America for Limoges in the early 1850s to work
his uncle, David Haviland founder of Haviland and Company and
rented a porcelain factory in partnership with his father
and brother. Subsequently he opened his own decorating studio
for porcelain to export items to the US and in 1868 purchased a
porcelain manufacturing company.
married the granddaughter of Francois Alluaud and later took
control of the Alluaud porcelain factory, one of the oldest
Limoges factories. Charles Field retired in 1881 and the company
became known as Gerard, Dufraisseix and Morel using the white
ware mark GDM. The partners changed around 1890 and the company
was subsequently called - Gerard and Dufraisseix and eventually
Gerard, Dufraisseix and Abbot (mark GDA).
trade today as Porcelaine GDA-Royal Limoges but of course the CH
Field Haviland mark now belongs to
and C. Parlon