The Robert Haviland
and C. Parlon Story
below for background information -
Haviland and Haviland Brothers
The company originally imported
English earthenware and French faience dinnerware and later
traded under the name of D.G. & D. Haviland Trading Company. It
was here that David, Richard and Daniel started importing French
porcelain which although the Americans liked the shape they were
not enthusiastic about the patterns and some of the settings.
David travelled to France to improve choice - see below
David Haviland, sons Charles
and Theodore Haviland, grandsons George and William Haviland
David Haviland was
prominent in bringing Limoges porcelain to the US. He initially
imported French porcelain to New York as part of Haviland
Brothers but moved to Limoges in 1842 to personally select
patterns for export from various Limoges factories. He later
opened his own decorating studio decorating blanks on items made
to his design.
In the beginning, David
Haviland designed his creations with the American market in
mind, later he met painter and sculptor Felix Bracquemond and
appointed him to head his studio. During this period, the studio
employed the great talent from such artists as Gauguin, Ribiere,
Dufy, and Cocteau, drastically changing the direction of
David Haviland assisted by
his sons Charles and Theodore started producing porcelain in
1865. Theodore Haviland left the company to start his own
company called Theordore Haviland in 1865 whilst Charles managed
the existing company - Haviland and Company. Haviland and
Company was taken over by George Haviland on Charles's death in
1921 and closed in 1930.
Theodores son William Haviland
obtained the marks and designs of Haviland and Company and then
merged the two branches of the family to trade again as Haviland
and Company. It is not now part of the family but still trades
today offering superb patterns under the name Haviland SA.
Robert Haviland, son Charles
Field Haviland, and grandson of Charles, Robert Haviland
Robert Haviland was along
with his brothers part of a landowning family in Harrissson's
Purchase near New York. He visited France in 1839 to explore the
French porcelain industry.
Haviland born in 1832, the son of Robert.
Haviland left America for Limoges in the early 1850s to work
his uncle, David Haviland founder of Haviland and Company and
later rented a porcelain factory in partnership with his father,
and brother. Subsequently he opened his own decorating studio
for porcelain to export items to the US and in 1868 purchased a
porcelain manufacturing company.
married the granddaughter of Francois Alluaud and later took
control of the Alluaud porcelain factory, one of the oldest
Limoges factories. Charles Field retired in 1881 and the company
became known as Gerard, Dufraisseix and Morel using the white
ware mark GDM. The partners changed around 1890 and the company
was subsequently called - Gerard and Dufraisseix and eventually
Gerard, Dufraisseix and Abbot (mark GDA).
tradition and the taste for porcelain manufacture were strong in
the Haviland family and his grandson Robert Haviland at the age
of 27 established his own new factory in 1924.
In 1941 Robert Haviland in honor of his grandfather Charles
Field Haviland purchased the "CH Field Haviland" trade mark
which is still in use today. In 1949 the Robert Haviland company
associated with C. Parlon to form the company Robert Haviland
and C. Parlon under which it still trades today producing
exquisite porcelain dinnerware.
From a family
company that started trading in the US in the early 19th century
the two companies still exist today producing fine porcelain